About BIDS Foundation
BUILDING-COMMUNITY INITIATIVES FOR DEVELOPMENT AND SELF-RELIANCE (BIDS) FOUNDATION
Building-community Initiatives for Development & Self-reliance (BIDS) Foundation was established and registered in Soroti District in 2012 as a Community Based Organization. BIDS Foundation is founded on the principle of Building on the Initiatives of the communities so as to ensure development and self-reliance among them through capacity strengthening. The belief is that the target beneficiaries can take a lead role in designing solutions to the problems that affect their lives. This is geared towards promoting the Rights Based Approach that is more empowering so as to create long lasting impact in the lives of target communities.
The organization has primarily been actively involved in;
- Capacity and skills strengthening,
- Community Based Advocacy, Health;
- Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights,
- post natal care and immunization,
- provision of Youth Friendly adolescent services,
- promotion of good Sanitation and Hygiene practices
- Environmental Conservation among others.
The organization started with Nest-Egg for Tomorrows Scheme (NETS) as a sole project with the aim of encouraging community members to mobilize savings and improve their access to financial credit and social services. In order to effectively provide comprehensive, quality and affordable health services, the organization established Saviour Health Care Service Clinic which has provided outreaches to the rural people.
BIDS Foundation has been operating in Teso Sub Region with its head office in Soroti town. It has worked in partnership with Church of Uganda – Teso Dioceses Planning & Development Office (COU-TEDDO) and Pentecostal Assemblies of God – Mission Development Department (PAG-MDD), Soroti. The organization uses a model of signing Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) with Local Governments and partner organizations in the areas of operation.
Empowered self-reliant households.
We exist to empower communities through capacity strengthening and promotion of the Rights Based Approach.
- To increase access to affordable quality health care & promote sexual reproductive health.
- To promote quality basic education and vocational training, peace and social justice.
- To promote sustainable livelihoods and economic security for the needy communities.
- To promote research, innovations and community based advocacy to facilitate evidence based interventions.
- To promote community Recovery, Resilience and Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Integrity, Transparency and Accountability
- Continuous learning
- People centeredness.
Key Five Thematic Areas:
- Health; Primay health care, sexual and reproductive health
- Increase access to high quality and affordable health care services.
- Promote primary health care services in schools and communities of operation.
- Promote Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights and youth friendly adolescent services.
- Provide post natal care and increase access to immunization services.
- Promote good nutrition, sanitation & hygiene practices in schools and communities.
- Increase HIV awareness campaigns, care and support for OVCs, HIV Counseling & Testing (HCT) outreaches and appropriate referral in schools and communities.
- Education, Peace and Human Rights;
- Promote equitable access to quality basic education and vocational training.
- Provide care and support to orphans and other vulnerable children (OVCs) in schools and communities.
- Empower the school governance structures .e.g. the School Management Committees, Parents’ Teachers’ Association & their stakeholders.
- Promote peace and human rights education in schools and communities.
- Sustainable livelihoods and economic security
- Strengthen the capacity of Community/Farmer Groups on Agribusiness, modern farming methods and other sustainable livelihood options.
- Promote the Nest Eggs for Tomorrow’s Scheme (NETS) by the groups.
- Promote the use of modern resistant crop varieties to improve agricultural production.
- Promote post-harvest handling, value addition and marketing of agricultural products.
- Promote farmer-to-farmer linking, learning and sharing.
- Research and Community Based Advocacy
- Organize and conduct evidence based research/needs assessments for provision of quality social services in education and health.
- Empower the communities to actively participate in the development processes.
- Strengthen the capacity of communities to mobilize resources locally for development.
- Strengthen the capacity of duty bearers on their roles and responsibilities.
- Community Recovery, Resilience and Community Based Disaster Risk Reduction
- Conduct capacity strengthening on Climate Resilient Agriculture, environmental conservation, disaster risk reduction and resilience.
- Establish demonstrations sites for Agro forestry, tree nurseries and energy saving.
- Children and youth.
- Orphans and other Vulnerable Children OVCs.
- Special interest groups e.g. PHAs, PWDs and the elderly.